a thing intended; an aim or plan.
“she was full of good intentions”
In 2018, I’m not setting resolutions. Resolutions are firm and unwavering. They’re intimidating. If I miss one day of a resolution, the whole endeavor feels shot, like I can’t come back from it, like I might as well just give up. Intentions, on the other hand, are aims. They feel purposeful, but not finite. I can start each day with good intentions, and if I slip up, I can try again in the morning. So with that in mind, I wanted to share some intentions that I’m setting for myself in the New Year.
- Cut down on meat and dairy consumption. I’m by no means becoming a vegan (I love a good cheeseburger too much for that), but I am planning to cut down on the amount of meat and dairy in my diet this year. I have a few reasons behind it – a major one is that I am trying to consume more calories from grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, fruits and vegetables. By filling up on these nutrient-dense foods, I’ll have less room for empty snacks. It’s also better for the world because it requires less energy and farmland.
- Be more productive with my free time. I’m generally a very busy person – between my full-time job, the blog, seemingly endless travel, and taking care of my animals, free time is not something I get a lot of. But here’s my dirty little secret: when I do have spare time, I’m really lazy. I like to lay on the couch, watching reruns of my favorite shows on Netflix. In 2018, I’m intending to make better use of that time – from doing a load of laundry every day, to listening to a podcast while I’m out walking the dog instead of just zoning out.
- Finally clean out my closet. I tend to get rid of stuff every few months, but it doesn’t seem to be making much of a dent in my densely-packed closet. In the next few weeks, I plan to do a major purge. Anything I haven’t worn in the past year must go!
- Continue transitioning to natural beauty products. I made good progress switching to natural beauty products in 2017 – I am now stocked with clean face oil, deodorant, shampoo and conditioner, and moisturizer. My goal for 2018 is to get my makeup bag cleaned up as well.
- Establish (and stick to) a better workout routine. I spent much of 2017 training for two half marathons. But when I wasn’t training, I kind of stopped working out. I want to set attainable goals this year – I intend to set at least 30 minutes aside every day for some kind of sweat sesh, because doing something is always better than doing nothing. Here’s a 20 minute workout you can do anywhere.